4 15/16" Aluminum Bulk Plates

Forums Knowledge Base 4 15/16" Aluminum Bulk Plates

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Conway Stevens
    Participant

I actually agree Bruce bigger diameter allthread would be better. Also I belive in exerting the force of the deployment onto the allthreads vs the BP. so I dont use the ubolts. I actually either use forged eyenuts or forged eyebolts attached to the allthread that way the allthread wich in my L3 is 2 x 3/8 has the shock given to it. Much stronger and much better then yanking on a BP. please feel free to give this a look and see what you think. Its a post on my L3 build On TRF and has plenty of pictures.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27663

Bruce R. Schaefer

I agree with you and Warren about where to put the stress. But where does the All-thread put the stress?… on the bulk plates, even with eyebolts attached to the All-thread, right? I picked up the thin metal plates Ken made for me today, and trust me, those will hold any stress applied to them. Still may go with 3/8″ though. I really like those pictures of your kit unassembled, Conway. Looks like mine and Warren’s only ours are an inch less in diameter. Every time I go out in the garage and see mine, or see yours online, I feel just like a little kid at Christmas. 🙂 Thanks to all for all your help and advice, especially Ken. I owe ya man.

Conway Stevens
    Participant

Actually only the deployemnt of the appogee/drouge segment might really put any stress on the BP’s and as that it is such a smaller size in comparison to the mains its not alot. The other reason it is not so much on the shock cords or atleast in my set up is the way the washer and nuts are placed internally and externally to make sure that the load on both events place the load on the steel parts not the BP. So the biggest stress is when the mains open and because you have an extended shock cord on the appogee section the stress when the mains deploy is tortionally along the allthread, eybolts and the shock cords. Or atleast as in how I do my designs. Glad you like the pics. Im actually doing my fin lamination starting today with a layer of kevlar on top of my G10 fins. Ahh yes. Like Christmas. I wish… Then I could ask my wife for a Talon6 a Ultimate Endeavour, A L3 Armagedon, and a bunch more projects I wonder if I could get here to get me my piece of aluminuml 6066 Tube thats 8 inch diameter for the new motor case. I wish it was Christmas. of course not that I would get any of those things. Maybe just a kick in the pants..

But looks like you have a great solution with the aluminum BP’s plenty strong enough.

Bruce R. Schaefer

Ah, the Christmas list… 🙂 Better start now..

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.