Blue Tube experience?

NCR Forums Knowledge Base Construction Help Blue Tube experience?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brad Morse 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rick Sipin
    Participant

Hi,

I have a 3″ dia Blue Tube about 4′ long which I bought many years ago from Apogee Components. Just wondering if anyone has had experiences positive or negative using this material. I’m considering putting it together with a payload bay and 38mm motor mount, with fiberglass fins and bulkheads.  I know I could go 54 mm, but I’d like to take one step up at a time, given my level 1 rocket runs with 29mm motors.  Thanks in advance for any opinions.

-Rick

Brad Morse
    Keymaster

I have used Blue Tube for A/V bays and motor mount tubes, it’s a good material.  I also have several sections of 6″ Blue Tube that I intend to use as an airframe for a scratch build cluster project.  I just need to find a good way to cut fin slots.

Also, I have friends who have used Blue Tube as an airframe and have had no trouble.

However – I have heard complaints about the material swelling and deforming.  I’ve got a Blue Tube motor mount (54mm) that has deformed a bit, and is almost impossible now to insert a motor case, not to mention pulling it out takes quite a bit of persuasion.

My conclusion is that I probably will not use Blue Tube as a motor mount in the future, but otherwise I like it.

Best of luck with your project!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.