getting started in dual deploy

NCR Forums Knowledge Base Electronics getting started in dual deploy

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Smith 7 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Dave Smith

I am needing some advice from club members that might help me move in the right direction. I have my Level 1 cert and am ready for a Level II perhaps at MHM. I have flight-ready the PML Ariel(Project: “Forgiveness”) that I could run on a straight piston deploy somewhere near apogee. I would just take the tables provided and find my safest, lowest, Level II motor for that job. With this project launch ready, I really want to move into electronic configurations for deployment for my next kit project.

Currently I am feeling completely overwhelmed by the dual deploy electronics and how they work.
    Although my dad was a real rocket scientist, I am lacking in any technical know-how.
    What might you suggest for either another kit that includes a “ready-to-assemble” dual deploy system OR a system that can brainlessly be mounted into a kit that includes a Payload Coupler?
    Over the Winter Break, I went over to Ken’s to become more familiarized with dual deploy systems, and discovered that it “feels” too complicated for the electronic neophyte.
    It all seems a little daunting to make the next step up.
    I am planning on coming to this saturday’s launch in hopes of looking over the shoulder of someone who is assembling the whole system for a flight. That would hopefully thin out some of the haze around this issue.

Thanks,

Dave

SCOTT EVANS

Just buy an altimeter or two and start reading the directions. Read the directions. Dont connect up the battery backwards and dont think you can set any of them up without the directions in hand. YOU CANT.
    I was overwelmed at first by the number choices of stuff out there. After a while I found out ther are really only a few.
    I still dont know all the functions in my head that some of my altimeters will do. But that doesnt really matter, I know the basics.
    Look at alot of pictures. And just keep reading.

After a couple of crashes, you will start to get a real good picture. 😉

Adrian
    Participant

Check out http://www.featherweightaltimeters.com if you haven’t already. There are av-bay kits that include battery, battery charger, magnetically-controlled arm switch, altimeter connector, bulkheads and deployment charge terminals in one small package that requires no user wiring. It’s designed around the Raven altimeter, which has a lot of flexibility in how its outputs can be configured, but has default settings that can be flown for dual deployment in almost any rocket without modification.

I haven’t decided yet if I’ll be there on Saturday, but if I’m there I’ll be happy to show you an example.

SCOTT EVANS

Adrian
    Those ave bays are pretty cool.
    Thats another way he could go.
    Are those magntic switches adaptable to other Alt. with 9 volts.
    How high are those ravens rated for?

Steve Jensen

but for simplicity I like Perfectflite altimeters.

I’ve had success with both. I like Adrian’s for bigger projects where I use back up charges. His also generates cooler data. I am playing with his avbays, which appear to be very nice too.

For a first dual deployment, Perfectflite’s are hard to beat. They’re cheap, and if you ding one up they’ll fix it for free (you pay postage). Of course, if you auger in and shred it I doubt they’ll replace it…

I use both these altimeters and like them. I have three Ravens and four Perfectflites (I hate switching electronics in the field…)

Read the manuals carefully and ask for help if you’re unsure. There are a lot of fliers familiar with these and other altimeters. I am no expert. Thee are even altimeters that have telemetry with GPS too. My recommendation is to keep it simple for your first.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.