launch lugs or not?

Forums Knowledge Base launch lugs or not?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mike hacker
    Participant

i am going to turn a canadian arrow into a v2 with a 29mm upgrade, and was thinking about no launch lugs , to my understanding i could build a platform with 2 pairs of vertical rods to guide the fins. Do i need to guide all 4 fins or could i get away with guiding only 2 fins which would be less resistance.
    thanks
    hondahak

Chris LaPanse

Well, if you were going to do a tower launch, you would need something to guide all 4. However, I would just go with a launch lug, as a canadian arrow/v2 design is hardly an optimized MD screamer, and will not benefit tremendously from the lowered drag (it will, however, be a much bigger pain to set up properly).

Tim Thomas

8) I too have a Can. Arrow. I added Ply fins and foam to both the tail and nose. The nose foam hold a large bolt for the recovery harness, and adds needed weight. I also added a full coupler to the tube. With a 29mm, I have added a retainer. This bird is a real workhorse. Tough as nails, and just loves the H220 blue thunder! I am sure you will LOVE yours. As CJL pointed out a set of rail buttons or rail guides will do the job. I have buttons on mine. The important thing is to get it on a rail. Way too much power for a rod. I am looking forward to seeing your V-2 at one of our launches, good luck 8)

Chris LaPanse

Agreed about the rail buttons.

They will provide a nice, stable platform for it and prevent any rod whip.

It would definitely scream on a nice H motor – H268 perhaps 😯

Bret Packard
    Participant

Keep in mind that CJL thinks every 29mm rocket needs an H268… 😯

of course he’s probably right too , although I favor the I200 myself. A full 29/360 is the important part 😀

mike hacker
    Participant

thanks for all of the input fellow rocketeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!
    hondahak 😀

denverdoc

Keep in mind that CJL thinks every 29mm rocket needs an H268… 😯
    of course he’s probably right too , although I favor the I200 myself. A full 29/360 is the important part 😀

Too much, he got grief from me over at TRF for this leadfoot advice.. tha is, to any and all, stuff all rockets with the fastest/blastest motor that’ll fit, and pull the trigger.

Now that I’m 30 miles from Superior and knowing he has access to not one, but two hot blooded automobiles, I’m driving less defensively. If you took Von Braun and chuck yeager/evil Kneival and rolled it into some mutant package, you’d have Chris! I can see his plans with skydiving evolving into not a balloon launch but rather falling from 25K, he takes aim with his Jimmy Neutron launch guide and ignites some P impulse rocket during freefall. Of course he’ll have a dozen reasons why this can’t be done.
    JS

Chris LaPanse

Heh.

Now that you mention it John, I should do that…

😆 😉 😆 😉 😆 😉

In all honesty, there are a lot of things I want to do, some of which might scare some people…

We’ll see how some stuff works out though. The only stuff that I’m doing for sure that you can give me grief about right now is my L2 project 🙂

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming…

(and yeah, the I200 is an acceptable substitute to the H268 ;))

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.