legality and permits clarification

NCR Forums General Discussion New to Rocketry legality and permits clarification

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brad Morse 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

hiddencow
    Participant

Hello, I am new to the game of rocketry so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have spent the last few days reading up on laws and such that are required to build rocket engines and it is a little vague. I am a Chemistry student at UCCS and I am planning on building a hybrid rocket engine. As of now, I have no plans on actually launching the engine. So my question is this; what permits/ licenses do I need to get to build an engine that is 98mm by 1m, I have calculated a fuel mass of 2.27Kg of paraffin with 6.5L of Lox (may switch to nitrous oxide or gaseous oxygen because Lox looks like a pain to work with). If I want to test the engine can I do it on my own property (large property clear of flammables) or do I need to attend a launch and just test it there? I have no idea what kind of thrust the engine will produce although I assume it will be bigger than a H/I class. Thanks! also if anyone has any tips for a newcomer it would be greatly appreciated.

Brad Morse
    Keymaster

I’m certainly not the best person to address all of your questions.  So hopefully others will also respond.

My advice is that you to use our range as a safe place to static fire any motors, we have the area and appropriate permits.  Generally speaking, Sunday launch dates are designated for research days.  The club likely has some of the necessary equipment for hybrid motors.  I know members in the past have flown and tested hybrid motors.

Come out to one of our launches and meet with Joe, our club president.  He can at least give you some guidance.  And if you are not already a member of Tripoli, (http://www.tripoli.org/) it might not be a bad idea to join.

hiddencow
    Participant

thanks! yeah I am planning on coming out to a launch sometime this summer, for the certification do the airframes and motors have to be bought or can they be manufactured?

Brad Morse
    Keymaster

Tripoli (and NAR) have guidelines and rules for construction materials.  Tripoli published this additional letter detailing the use of metals: http://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Safety%20Code/Metal%20in%20Rocket%20Construction%20v2.0.pdf

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.