Right angle lens

Forums Knowledge Base Right angle lens

• This topic has 10 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Doug Gerrard.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Doug Gerrard
    Participant

With the wide angle lens of the GoPro, the mirror would have to be just about as big as the camera.  I designed and built a very aerodynamic cowling to mount the GoPro in and it works very well.

Doug Gerrard
    Participant

Here is the footage from its last flight (with a different paint job). Feature Presentations GoPro camera looking aft: https://vimeo.com/110331442

Here is the shot of Feature Presentations Sony camera looking out from nose cone: https://vimeo.com/110331443

Bob Wood
    Participant

The video is nice. The link to the image you note in your first response is bustified. Would you please re-post?

Are you mounting the cowl to a GoPro camera body, or to a housing (to avail yourself of various mounting options? Which GoPro are you using? I have an earlier HD Hero.

I do see by the way (from a post on a GoPro forum), that for Hero 3 / 3+ generation cameras, Snake River Prototyping offers an attachment that allows use of screw in 55mm filters. I note also that there are some “spy lenses” that come in 55mm filter format …

I note also that with some newer GoPro cameras, one can configure field of view from ultra-wide to not-so-much. Yet to play with this …

Thx!

Doug Gerrard
    Participant

Lets try this again.  Here is a shot of the cowlings and the mold they were made from.

Here is a close up of the inside mounting of the camera.

and a shot with the camera mounted inside. The Camera Housing was not needed and only increased the size.

Doug

Doug Gerrard
    Participant

This image may give you a better idea how aerodynamic the cowling is.

Doug Gerrard
    Participant

In case it wasn't obvious, the camera is loaded from inside the body tube.  Here is a shot of the cowling before it was installed on the body tube.

Doug Gerrard
    Participant

We now have editing capabilities but I do not see a method to delete posts that are not longer applicable.

Doug

Bob Wood
    Participant

Very nice Doug. Thank you for all the photos!

I recently was introduced to a ~$100 camera that looks like a periscope. It’s small, high video rate, remotely managed via cell phone, and looks like it will mount into a ~1″ hole in an airframe. Not as aerodynamic as your shroud, but low profile, round and smooth. I’ll post photos / links shortly

Bob Wood
    Participant

The HTC RE camera looks like an interesting device ….

http://www.htc.com/us/re/re-camera/

Bob Wood
    Participant

Any design ideas for how to best mount a GoPro in an avy bay, pointing directly out through the airframe wall, with a mirror or mirrored prism to direct the field of view earthward?

I am really looking for a lens (mirrored prism) without some monstrous (drag) profile, or a drain on my wallet. We have all seen videos of cameras used in such a way. I can’t find a reference design.

All leads appreciated …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.